Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Snowed In









Hoping that snow is insulating our sweet honey bees
 Our road
Bob and Terry, our pigs, eating and then heading back in to the shelter, they aren't fans of the snow
Homemade pizza outta the woodstove, yes please







Sled, eat , repeat. Oh and bring some more wood in, haha..



Mother Nature snowed us in starting Friday evening,, Here we are Tuesday, and our roads are still a mess.. Getting out of here is a long haul in good weather, so you can imagine what 7" of snow will do..

Its been a wonderful 3-4 days.. Full of sledding, eating, baking, laughing, and spending time together.. yeah we are getting a little stir crazy, but a good walk in the woods can fix that right up ;)

There is something amazing about these moments in winter. We work so hard all spring and summer to grow our food, preserve our bounty, split wood, so we can enjoy the feeling complete self reliance.. we supply our own power, heat, water, and food...its a comfort worth all the work it takes to get to that point..
Go ahead snow us in for a couple weeks....,  KIDDING! haha,, no thank you.. It sure has been beautiful, but there is a reason I am living a wee bit south of where I used to live....

We are supposed to warm up quite a bit and get rain, which means the first 12 miles of my commute out of here will be 12 miles of MUD,, fun stuff.....

So for now we are snuggled by the woodstove enjoying the snowy view from inside....


Blessings
The Cools

9 comments:

  1. Nifty log bringer in! Just a little question...does your stove being close to the door affect it during cooking...You must have a very well insulated place...it can be quite draughty here at Little Winter! Seriously though fireplaces in the UK are pretty much always more in the centre of the room...just inquisitive. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! My husband made the log carrier ;)
      No, the door is no issue at all , the stove is on all the time ( our only heat source) so not just when we cook and the door is fine :) while I have seen stoves in the middle of rooms ,, most here ( that I have seen) are against a wall ;) interesting,, I wonder why that is? I do think in the middle of the room makes much more sense !
      our house( atleast the front part here ) is a cinderblock cabin,, so not insulate,,,our floors our tile too,, BUT our ceilings are low which keeps it warm in here,, we aren't losing all our heat to high ceilings.. The only room that gets chilly is our bedroom ( down a hall in the back)
      Lets just say we dress FAST in the morning!!
      Jaime

      Delete
  2. Diggin' your lifestyle & wishing I could join you! if I wasn't almost 66 & single, I would definitely go that route. Have had too many back injuries to count but still want to be a "pioneer woman"! My mother thinks I'm crazy but off the grid is what I'd love! Enjoy your life... and your health while you've got it! Blessings..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! I hope you are able to still do small things to scratch that homesteading itch!! <3
      I am grateful every day for my health..
      I am now 40 yrs old ( husband is 43) and we know that we wont always be able to do this much.I have 5 gardens now, and I am sure it will dwindle down to one or 2 in the next 10-20 yrs,,
      but yes, grateful every single day to be able to do this!
      Thanks so much for following!

      Delete
  3. My husband would like a wood carrier like that! Great photos, all so homey and happy. I liked seeing the green olives on the pizza, but my husband would disown me if I ever presented a pizza like that, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As long as you're prepared and have cozy shelter, getting snowed in is a magical treat for me. We are not off grid but are in Bankhead Nat'l Forest in Alabama with no neighbors. It's 16 miles to the nearest grocery store, 52 to my church and more to elsewhere. But if it snows here, we can't get out of our driveway because it's soooo steep with a drop off across from it. We've had no snow this yr but last yr we got a good snow. The fireplace, the cooking, the beauty outdoors and the quietness are special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya, we are 26 miles to the nearest grocery store, the first 12 miles of our commute are gravel, in any direction,so it takes a while to get where you are going.. a gas station is about 40 minutes way ( 16 miles) ... if we , lets say , a Target, best buy, Fabric store etc its 56 miles, which takes 1.5 hours, :)

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought I replied to this? But I suppose I didn't! Yes you may!

    ReplyDelete